top of page

The tower & Bells

The octagonal tower supports eight bells, the heaviest weighing just over 16cwt, most of which date from 1811, although it is evident there were bells here for a long time before then - records go back to 1586. The bells used to be in what is now our ringing chamber and until 1833 the bells were a ground floor ring. In 1902 the bells were rehung and the iron girders were placed in the tower due to the old wooden supports were rotten. 

Bell Weights

Weight     Date             Founder

5-3-10       1894              Mears & Stainbank

6-1-13       1894              Mears & Stainbank

6-1-10       1953              Mears & Stainbank

7-3-2         1953              Mears & Stainbank

9-1-4         1811              Thomas II Mears

11-3-9       1811              Thomas II Mears

13-3-2       1811              Thomas II Mears

16-3-2       1811              Thomas II Mears

bottom of page